Eating disorders are more than just eating food anyhow, anywhere, and at any time. They involve behavioral conditions which push admitted or intending patients to have abnormal eating patterns which affect their physical, psychological and social conditions. Eating disorder treatment specialists in Orange County, CA, have helped reduce eating disorders such as binge eating disorder, rumination disorder, anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, avoidant restrictive food intake disorder, etc.
Eating disorders are common among Children and Teens.
When you or a loved one battles an eating disorder or the other, it often comes along with mood and anxiety disorders resulting from psychiatric challenges. The result of the disorder mentioned above is obsessive compulsive eating problems which include drug abuse. Although eating disorders are common among millions of people around the world, it is, however, more common among children and teens.
Everything you need to know about treating eating disorders in teens
Early intervention is necessary to treating teens with eating disorders. The most important thing in overcoming eating disorders in teens and adolescents is to nip it in the bud in its infancy before it develops to avoid any form of long-term health consequences. This is because if it’s not addressed early, the eating disorder affecting the teen may lead to severe health challenges, and the teen may even die eventually.
Teens affected by eating disorders have treatment desires to restore adequate nutrition, stop binging and purging behaviors, normalize weight, and stop unnecessary exercise. Most of the time, treatment plans are personalized. Some of these treatment plans are:
- Use of medications
- Nutritional counseling
- Medical care and monitoring
- Psychotherapy and any other valuable treatment.
Some patients require inpatient services to make malnutrition treatment successful as they will be monitored to eat enough, not more or less, depending on their current weight. Inpatient kids undergo different individual and group therapy sessions to enable them to conquer their eating disorders. These therapies include;
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT): The overall goal of CBT is to bring clarity and insight to a teen in an eating disorder crisis. CBT tries to achieve this by identifying the emotions which inform the sense of isolation in the teen. It helps address these self-defeating thoughts that make a living seem like a hell for teenagers and adolescents.
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT): With DBT, your teen learns special skills such as mindfulness and the regulation of emotions. With regular practice of these skills, your teen is assured of winning the battle over any eating disorder.
- Experiential therapies are powerful in helping teens overpower eating disorders with adventure therapy, music therapy, art therapy, and the likes. With the modalities mentioned above, teens who are undergoing treatment for eating disorders are helped to explore their emotions and are strengthened through creative expressions.
- Yoga and meditation are incorporated into the mindfulness practices of these teen patients to imbibe as this will help them combat eating disorders effectively.
Need Professional Help With Eating Disorder Treatment in Orange County, CA?
It’s important to monitor your child’s mental and physical health. This is where Child psychologists in Orange County, California, come in to render help to children who are going through emotional and behavioral challenges related to their eating disorder.
At OC Teen center, your teen will receive personalized treatment on their peculiar eating disorder by the best teen psychologist in Orange County.
We are the leading pediatric mental health services in Orange County. Our skilled and professional psychiatrists and psychologists are on hand to offer treatments for Binge eating disorder, Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa, Pica, Avoidant Restrictive Food Intake Disorder, Rumination Disorder, and Other Specified Feeding and Eating disorder. Weight gain or loss can be one of the causes of an eating disorder obsession.
Our Adolescent psychiatrists in SoCal are trained to discover the possible symptoms of an eating disorder, including denial of hunger, excessive hair growth on any part of the body or face, and intentionally skipping meals. To treat these eating disorders in your children, teens, or adolescents, endeavor to come to us for the perfect youth therapy in Southern California.